Sunday, August 5, 2012

Metallic Chevron

Hey girls,

I had this in my folder for two days now without publishing and I just don't know why. I guess I did not find the time to write. ^^ But here it is now. I mentioned on my to do list that I wanted to do a chevron manicure (I think that is what this is called) and finally here it is.

I applied a basecoat first to protect my natural nails. Then I polished one coat of Essie's Nothing Else Metals from the Mirror Metallics limited edition on my nails. One coat turns out opaque. I just loooove this color. It's my favourite from the Mirror Metallics LE. I've never seen anything like this colour before. Unfortunately this colour emphasizes every unevenness on your nails. Love it anyway...

Essie Nothing Else Metals

I let that coat dry completely before going on to the next step which is taping the nail. I used this nail art tape which I bought on ebay but you could use regular scotch tape or masking tape aswell. Just make sure your basecolour is really dry. For the shape of the chevron I tried to find the "corners" on my cuticles (where the curved line merges into the straight at the sidewalls of my nails) and lined them up with a point in the middle of my nail. I hope you understand what I am trying to say. :D Press the tape on firmly. You don't want any polish to sneak underneath it.

Taped nails (with nail art tape) as a preparation for the chevron

If you use nail art tape you wanna be very careful. You need a very steady hand as the tape is very thin and the space you need to polish is very small. After polishing that small space give the polish a few seconds to set before you peel off the tape. I peeled it off from the top to the bottom meaning I started in the middle of the nail and pulled the tape off towards my cuticles. I thought this way is the smartest. ^^

For the chevron part I used essence c&g nail polish 122 chic reloaded. It's a very nice black duo-chrome polish with green and pink/purple in it. I thought this fits very well.

Chic Reloaded duo-chrome chevron on Nothing Else Metals

I just had the idea that you could create this by starting off with the darker colour and polish the whole nail with that first and then masking the chevron part and polishing the lighter colour above that. I mean instead of adding it like I did you could just leave that part of the nail "unpolished" with the second colour. I kinda have trouble expressing myself today... xD

Adding a layer of topcoat will even out the surface of your nail design and make it last longer.

Chic Reloaded duo-chrome chevron on Nothing Else Metals

The longer I look at this manicure the more I like it. I hope you like it too. ;)

As always if you have any questions please leave a comment below and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading. Bye. :)


P.S.: I'm sorry for the bad quality of the pictures... they looked okay on the camera but now they all seem to be overexposed. I picked out the best ones already. Next time I'll try to do this in daylight.

1 comment:

  1. This is gorgeous- love this chevron mani!! I really have to try one sometime...

    ReplyDelete